Foods to Avoid During a Cleanse
While cleansing, there are certain foods that you won’t want to go near. These are foods that contain certain chemicals, sugars, or fats that are harmful to your body and cleansing process.
Knowing what not to eat on a cleanse is just as important as knowing what to eat.
Here are the top ten foods to avoid while on a cleanse:
1. Refined Sugar: Refined sugar, in any form, including high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, or liquid cane sugar, causes a spike in your blood sugar levels, causes the body to release insulin, and strains the liver and kidneys. It does all of this while it produces a spike in energy, followed by a crash that will leave you reaching for more sugar.
2. Caffeine: Caffeine is bad for your colon and digestive tract, strips the body of vitamins and minerals, and contributes to addiction, stress, and depression. It definitely should be avoided.
3. Refined flour, or gluten products: Humans have made long strides in producing a type of milled grain that sticks together well for baking, lasts a long time during shipping, and lacks a strong, grainy flavor. In the process, we have produced something that sticks to our bowels like glue, contributes to Candida, and possibly causes cancer. There are better sources of fiber and carbohydrates, like fruit and vegetables, so you can leave refined wheat flour out of your diet.
4. Dairy: Dairy from cows or other animals is full of known allergens and hormones and produces a sticky mucus in the bowels, stomach and throat. Dairy products are linked to asthma, colon cancer, and breast cancer. You definitely do not need this in your diet.
5. Red Meat: Red meat is difficult for the body to break down, digest, and pass through the system. It has been known to sit inside the colon where it rots and leads to leaky gut syndrome, allergies, and colon cancer.
6. Eggs: Egg whites are mucus-forming and the whole egg has an acidifying effect on your body. Since you want foods that are calming and alkaline, it is best to leave eggs out.
7. Juices with concentrate, corn syrup, or sugar added: Most of what you buy at the grocery store is not juice. It is juice-derived. It is sugary and unnatural and should be considered a refined sugar. An exception of course, is any natural ,squeezed juice with no sugar added.
8. Peanuts or nut butters: These are usually salty, sugary, and can have mold contamination or other chemicals, colorants, and emulsifiers. Stick to raw almonds, walnuts, or pecans if you want to eat nuts.
9. Yeast: It is best to avoid anything with yeast while on a cleanse, especially if on a candida cleanse.
10. Packaged, processed, refined foods: Anything with a shelf life, artificial or “natural” flavor (nature-identical flavor), colorants, preservatives, etc. Instead, eat fresh, local, organic produce as much as possible.
Knowing what foods to avoid can make your cleanse a great success. As always, drink plenty of water and get adequate rest and exercise! Good luck!